Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Own Reflection After Teaching

On Tuesday, September 14th, I had 2 sections of my Japanese 1010 classes. Since I decided to work within my own classroom, my observation entry will be more reflective of my own teaching. I always enjoy meeting my students because they are very enthusiastic to learn Japanese and about the Japanese culture.


Classroom Information

•Japanese 1010-02 (Beginner)
•Every Tuesday & Thursday, from 2:40 to 4:05 (85 mins)
•Total - 30 students including 18 males and 12 females


Teaching

What was the purpose of the lesson?

The purpose of the lesson was to be able to do self-introduction, have conversations regarding time, and to read and write the Hiragana, which is the language for the Japanese alphabet. We also learned how to phrase a sentence into a question, such as, “Is this X?” and “What is Y?”

How was the lesson structured?

The lesson on this day was designed specifically to encourage my students to learn how to act like Japanese people do. I usually use TPR for a few sessions at the beginning of a semester, and the communicative method throughout the semester. All conversation between a teacher (me) and students are conducted in Japanese within a natural conversation, excepting while I was explaining new grammar for the day in English. Students are often provided scenarios and contexts for acting out situations, which allows them to be very imaginative. As for materials, we use Genki, a Japanese textbook, and me for direction. Since we do not have Japanese native speakers in my class, besides me, it is very important for them to listen to what and how I speak and internalize them. They are required to memorize an assigned dialogue before class, so that they can communicate with classmates and utilize the vocabulary they have learned. So far, it seems to be appropriate and suit their level of Japanese language instruction. Before I let them practice with their classmates, I usually verbally use the dialogue in a certain context first. They can then see when they need to use the dialogue, how they start and end conversations, and how accent and intonation of certain words sound.

How did the second language learners react and interact?

Every time I teach something in class, my student’s attitudes and reactions are very positive, and that makes me happy to be their teacher. My student’s laugh if their classmates and I say something funny, they ask me questions if they do not understand me, and listen to me whenever I ask them to do so. I saw their hesitation to speak in Japanese in front of the classroom when they were not provided enough time to practice with their classmates. Since then, I try to take enough time to allow them to practice in pairs or groups.


Community

What evidence of community in terms of the second language learner did you observe?

I always try to make my class relaxing and enjoyable, so that my students will not feel too much stress or anxiety when speaking in Japanese. This is reflected in every session that we have. Students are continually willing to speak more in class because of this.

What is required to become a member of this classroom or learning environment?

Anybody who is interested in the Japanese language and culture can become a member of my class. I sometimes have guest speakers from upper level Japanese language classes and native speakers as well. Some of my students have learned Japanese and continued on to travel, teach English, and even live in Japan.


Ethnographic perspective

What events occurred during your observation?

The class started with me returning and collecting assignments through a short conversation. Due to the varying forms of speaking styles in the Japanese language, students are required to speak differently, or in a more polite manner, when speaking to the teacher rather than speaking to their classmates. I do not allow my students to not response or to speak frankly with me, because that is not how Japanese people act. They can speak in English while we are working on new grammar, but once we start on ACT (actually speaking), they are required to speak in Japanese. They came to class with an assigned dialogue they were to memorize, but I had understood some of them would have come to class without doing the assignment at all or partially. To help those students in class I tried to use the dialogue as many times as possible in context, so that they can listen, internalize, and produce. When students could not produce words or sentences, I always asked other students to give them hints, so that they can continue the conversation. It is important for language learners, not the teacher, to use the language.

What can an observer see if they entered the classroom at this particular time?

An observer entering this classroom would be able to see that the students are actively communicating with each other and a teacher is guiding them. While students are talking with classmates, I walk around to see how good they are doing and to answer any questions they may ask me. Students interact with the each other and also with me. They are willing to speak up in front of other students, so the atmosphere in my class is fun and enthusiastic. As for the room itself, it is difficult to have my classroom decorated with materials related with the Japanese language, because a lot of different classes use the same classroom.

What evidence of acceptance and welcome would a second language learner see?

I hope my students feel accepted and welcomed. I am a little bit worried about this, because I have too many students this semester (totally 60 students), and all their names and faces do not match yet (almost!). I’m still in the process of remembering all of their names and faces. However, in class, I try to smile all the time, and to show respect for their participation.

1 comment:

  1. I am wondering if students have a problem with the up/down progression of reading Japanese. Do you think that this hinders progress for those who learned to read with left-right progression?

    ReplyDelete